Salad Series #2: Spring
With spring now (sunshine, prevail) in full swing, Bookshelf Boyfriend has rustled up some new salad recipes to tantalize your tastebuds. Following on from our inaugural winter series, we’re now delving into some new nourishing goodness!
2 medium beets, halved, peeled and thinly sliced
3 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cups tender young asparagus cut into 2 inch pieces
½ cup raisins or golden raisins
½ cup coarsely chopped raw (activated) almonds
½ cup raw sesame seeds
For the dressing:
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp raw coconut nectar or raw local honey
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Spanish paprika
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
¼ tsp sea salt or to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the veggies, raisins, almonds and sesame seeds.
- Whisk together the dressing, then toss with the salad to coat. Enjoy!
300g asparagus, trimmed and sliced on a sharp angle into 3-4 thin spears
200g french beans, topped
300g broad beans (fresh or frozen)
50g baby spinach leaves
1 shallot, peeled and very thinly sliced
1 red chilli, finely diced
½ tsp sesame oil
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1 tsp nigella seeds
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and blanch the asparagus for two to four minutes, depending on thickness – you don’t want them cooked to very soft. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of ice-cold water. Add the french beans to the boiling water, blanch for five minutes and transfer to the asparagus bowl. Drain both well, then dry with a clean kitchen towel. Blanch the broad beans in the same water for two minutes, drain, refresh and dry, then remove and discard the skins by pressing each bean gently between finger and thumb.
- Put all the greens in a large bowl and add all the remaining ingredients and half a teaspoon of salt. Stir gently, taste, add more salt if you like, and serve at once.
Ingredients (serves 1)
Handful of green leaf salad (rocket or baby leaf are ideal)
½ cubed avocado
2 cubes goats cheese
½ cup green lentils
Salt and pepper
Olive oil (avocado oil is ideal)
- Toss and mix the dry ingredients (salad leaves, avocado pieces, goats cheese, lentils) together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients (olive oil, salt & pepper, lemon juice) to drizzle over the mixed dry ingredients.
- Serve immediately!
Photo credits ©